Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Roman Shade from Broken Vinyl Blind

As you may have seen from my previous post, I have been updating my kitchen. Well now the 2" vinyl blind that is dirty and has a broken string does not look good any more. So I searched the web for an idea and found this roman shade idea. 


 So after and hour at the fabric store, I picked this one. It has a bit of gray, and I had just painted the walls gray. But I really wanted to add an accent color, thus the pretty blue.

 Then I measured, measured and measured again, and cut the fabric 2" longer that the blind both ways (length and width. My blind was 34" long, so I cut the fabric 36". Then I folded it over the excess divided evenly on all side and ironed the seams.
 Then I untied the knots and the very bottom of the blind to the main string that lifts the blind, pull that string out of the slats and leave it out, but don't cut it. Then cut the ladder string shown in this picture, they are no longer needed, they can go. I then laid out the fabric and put slats even place on the fabric (I did them about 8" apart measuring from the center of the slat). Next, I restrung the main string back through the slats and back through the bottom rail, attaching them as they were before it was disassembled. I used fabric glue to glue the slats to the fabric all the way across and glued the seams down. Then I used the hot glue gun to attach the top rail and bottom bar (they were heavy and the fabric glue I had wasn't working). You will want to leave a couple inches on each end of the top head rail unattached so you can get it back into the brackets. I attached those ends to the brackets with Velcro.



No comments:

Post a Comment